Modern hospital medical care has been developing successfully in Hradec Králové since the end of the 19th century, but the academic roots of today’s University Hospital Hradec Králové date back to the 1930s. It was then, after the construction of the complex of the modern district hospital on the confluence of the Rivers Elbe and Orlice, that regular meetings of doctors accompanied by lectures and discussions about medical topics were held in the Hradec Králové Hospital on the initiative of a few physicians. The main instigator was A. Fingerland, later to become Professor and Chief Physician of the Institute for Pathology of the Hradec Králové Medical Faculty under Charles University.
An important role in the development of professional care as well as teaching activities was also played by the then university lecturer and academician Bedrna, who in 1933 was appointed Head Physician of the Surgical Ward. The academician Bedrna was not only an excellent surgeon, but also a person with wide horizons and a vision not just about the development of surgery but also the medical practice as such. It was he who in co-operation with a number of other chief physicians was encouraging the devolvement of vast learning activities in the Hradec Králové Hospital not just for his physicians, but also those from the wide vicinity of Hradec Králové. Gradually, a team of highly erudite specialists was established in the Hradec Králové Hospital, which after the war contributed to a branch of the Charles University - Hradec Králové Medical Faculty being set up in this city in 1945 and the Hradec Králové Hospital was conferred with the status of a teaching hospital.
The University Hospital Hradec Králové was also made famous by Bedrna’s pupils: Professor Petr (brain surgeon) and Professor Procházka (lung and heart surgeon.), as well as specialists in other medical professions. High prestige was gained by radiology, ophthalmology, paediatrics and internal medicine, especially cardiology. The hospital became reputed for narrow specialisations, thanks to which for example the first Czechoslovak tissue bank was set up in the 1950s, the first dialyses and kidney transplants were performed and the first computer tomograph (CT) in the country was installed. Extraordinary results have been achieved by the hospital and the Medical Faculty since the 1950s to the present day thanks also to the co-operation with the Faculty of Military Medicine, owing to which University Hospital Hradec Králové successfully trains military physicians for the entire country.